Sweetwaters Serena Camp
It’s location in the private Ol Pejeta Conservancy with a higher wildlife-to-area ratio than any of Kenya’s national parks makes Sweetwaters Serena Camp one of the most exclusive tented safari camps in Kenya.
Sweetwaters Serena Camp Nanyuki is an exclusive and sheltered oasis assembled around a water hole. It provides an amazing wildlife viewing experience where you can see animals from the comfort of your rooms.
Sweetwaters Serena Camp is a luxury tented camp located in the Ol Pejeta Conservancy, in the Laikipia region of Kenya. It is situated on the banks of the Ewaso Nyiro River, and is surrounded by a beautiful savannah landscape.
The camp features 50 luxury tents, each with its own private veranda overlooking the river or the plains. The tents are spacious and well-appointed, with en-suite bathrooms, hot and cold running water, and comfortable furnishings. There is also a honeymoon suite available for couples looking for a more romantic getaway.
The main lodge at Sweetwaters Serena Camp is a beautiful thatched building, with a large veranda overlooking a waterhole that is frequented by a variety of wildlife, including elephants, buffalo, and zebras. The lodge features a restaurant, a bar, and a lounge area, as well as a swimming pool and a spa.
Guests at Sweetwaters Serena Camp can enjoy a range of activities, including game drives, guided nature walks, bird watching, and visits to the chimpanzee sanctuary at Ol Pejeta Conservancy. The camp also offers night game drives, which give guests the opportunity to see nocturnal wildlife such as lions, leopards, and hyenas.
The original 39 tents overlook the water hole. A swimming pool on the Sweetwaters Serena Camp offers respite from the African heat. The Waterhole Bar, built in the style of a game-viewing hide, overlooks the waterhole and offers unrivaled wildlife-watching. Camel treks, daily and nightly game drives, and cultural dancing will not disappoint the guests who want to get up and around.
A few of the services and activities offered at Sweetwaters Nanyuki. Wedding venues, with honeymoon suites located on-site and grand views of wildlife, are available for newlywed couples.
Highlight of a Stay at Serena Sweetwaters; Excellent game viewing with stunning views of Mount Kenya in the background.
A sheltered oasis, clustered around a water hole and set in the pristine calm of the private Ol Pejeta Conservancy, Sweetwaters Tented Camp offers a charming blend of under-canvas ambiance and safari luxury.
Located on the plains of Mount Kenya, the camp features thirty-nine luxury tents, each with its own private veranda overlooking the water hole. The central Rhino Restaurant is housed in the former manager’s house of this once colonial farm, and offers both regional and international cuisine. Also within the house is the Kashoggi Bar and lounge, which centres on a blazing log fire. The Waterhole Bar, built in the style of a game-viewing hide, overlooks the waterhole and offers unrivalled wildlife-watching.
Host to all the members of the ‘Big Five’ (elephant, rhino, lion, buffalo and leopard), the conservancy has a higher wildlife-to-area ratio than any Kenyan national park and is one of only four private game conservancies to have been founded in Kenya. At the forefront of the Kenyan conservancy programme, the conservancy boasts the largest black rhino sanctuary in East Africa, hosts the only chimpanzee sanctuary in Kenya, and shelters large numbers of rare and endangered species.
Sweetwaters Serena Camp Location
The camp lies at the centre of the 110,000-acre Ol Pejeta Conservancy, which lies on the Laikipia plains 17 kilometres from Nanyuki and 217 kilometres from Nairobi. Transfers by road from Nairobi take approximately 3-4 hours
About Ol Pejeta Conservancy
The Ol Pejeta Conservancy Situated between the foot hills of the Aberdares and the magnificent snow-capped peaks of Mount Kenya, the 110,000-acre private wilderness of the Ol Pejeta Conservancy boasts an astounding variety of wildlife, including all the members of the ‘Big Five’ (the endangered black and white rhino , leopard, elephant, buffalo and lion).Offering one of the highest wildlife densities in Kenya and a higher wildlife to acre ratio than any Kenyan national park, the conservancy offers sanctuary to a number of endangered species, most notably the rare Grevy’s zebra and the Jackson’s hartebeest. The largest black rhino sanctuary in East Africa, the conservancy also hosts the only sanctuary for chimpanzees in Kenya.
The camp lies at the centre of the 110,000-acre Ol Pejeta Conservancy, which lies on the Laikipia plains 17 kilometres from Nanyuki and 217 kilometres from Nairobi.
By road: transfers by road from Nairobi take approximately 2-3 hours.
By air: Nanyuki airstrip is 17 km from the camp, and a ‘meet and greet’ and transfer service can be provided(Please let us know your arrival time in advance).
Ready to book your holiday at Sweetwaters Serena Camp ? Contact us for the best rates.
- Easily accessible by road or air.
- Picturesque serene location.
- The perfect experience for adventurers!
- Great Dining options local cuisine and international cuisine.
- Explore enjoy outdoor activities and sightseeing.
- 5* Hospitality
What are the 2023 Prices for Sweetwaters Serena Camp?
Here are Sweetwaters Serena Camp Resident Rates:
What Does PPS Mean? PPS (Per Person Sharing) means cost Per Adult when sharing the Room with another. Example KES 10,000/- PPS means, 2 Adults in 1 Room pay KES 20,000/-
Sweetwaters Serena Camp Rates
|2023 Rates||Sun – Thu||Fri & Sat|
|1st Oct 2023 – 22nd Dec 2023||KES 14,400/- PPS||KES 18,720/- PP||KES 15,840/- PPS||KES 21,600/- PP|
|23rd Dec 2023 – 1st Jan 2024||KES 20,600/- PPS||KES 27,800/- PP||KES 20,600/- PPS||KES 27,800/- PP|
3rd Adult Sharing: 75% of PPS
Sweetwaters Serena Camp Charges/Rates are in KES, Per Person (Full Board), Per Night
Rates Exclude: Drinks, Ol Pejeta Conservancy Fees and other Extras
|2023 Rates||Sun – Thu||Fri & Sat|
|1st Oct 2023 – 22nd Dec 2023||KES 15,840/- PPS||KES 21,600/- PP||KES 17,280/- PPS||KES 23,520/- PP|
|23rd Dec 2023 – 1st Jan 2024||KES 23,200/- PPS||KES 31,200/- PP||KES 23,200/- PPS||KES 31,200/- PP|
3rd Adult Sharing: 75% of PPS
Sweetwaters Serena Camp Charges/Rates in KES, Per Person (Full Board), Per Night
Rates Exclude: Drinks, Ol Pejeta Conservancy Fees and other Extras
Morani Sweetwaters Family Room Supplement:
Till 1st Jan 2024 2023: KES 2,500/- Per Room, Per Night
Sweetwaters Serena Camp Child Policy:
Up to 5.9 years: FREE (Sharing)
6 – 12 years Sharing Room with Adult: 50% of PPS
13 – 17 years Sharing Room with Adult: 75% of PPS
6 – 17 years in Own Room: 75% of PPS
What Hotel Facilities are available at Sweetwaters Serena Camp?
Sweetwaters Serena Camp offers a range of facilities designed to provide guests with a comfortable and unforgettable experience. Whether you're traveling for leisure or business, Sweetwaters Serena Camp has everything to make your stay an enjoyable one. Here is a list of some of the facilities at the camp
- Swimming pool: The camp has a swimming pool where guests can relax and cool off after a day of safari activities.
- Central Rhino Restaurant: This restaurant serves a variety of international and African cuisine and is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Colonial-styled lounge and bar: The lounge and bar offer a comfortable setting for guests to relax and enjoy drinks, cocktails, and light snacks.
- Extensive grounds: Sweetwaters Serena Camp has extensive grounds, including a beautiful garden and a private waterhole, where guests can observe wildlife.
- Private waterhole and night viewing bar: The camp has a private waterhole that attracts wildlife throughout the day, and a night viewing bar where guests can observe nocturnal animals while enjoying drinks.
- Conference room: The camp has a dedicated conference room that can accommodate up to 40 people and is equipped with audiovisual equipment and Wi-Fi.
- Cultural dance and music: The camp offers traditional African music and dance performances, providing guests with a glimpse into the local culture.
- Wedding planning and honeymoon venue: Sweetwaters Serena Camp provides a romantic and picturesque setting for weddings and honeymoons.
- Gift shop: The gift shop sells a variety of souvenirs, gifts, and local crafts.
- Business center: The business center is equipped with computers, printers, and other office equipment for guests who need to stay connected while traveling.
- Wi-Fi: Complimentary Wi-Fi is available throughout the camp.
- Telephone in room: Each guest room has a telephone for guests to make local and international calls.
- Babysitting services and baby cot in the room: Babysitting services and baby cots are available upon request for families with young children.
- 24-hour on-call medical services available: The camp has 24-hour on-call medical services for guests who need medical attention.
- Spa: The camp has a spa offering a variety of treatments and massages, providing guests with a relaxing and rejuvenating experience.
What Hotel Activities are available at Sweetwaters Serena Camp?
Sweetwaters Serena Camp offers a wide range of activities for guests to explore the Ol Pejeta Conservancy and its beautiful surroundings. The camp's experienced guides are knowledgeable about the local wildlife, landscapes, and cultures, and can tailor your activities to your interests and preferences. Some of the activities available at the camp include:
- Day and night game drives daily: Guests can go on daily game drives in Ol Pejeta Conservancy, which is home to the Big Five (elephants, lions, leopards, buffalos, and rhinos), as well as many other species of wildlife.
- Guided nature walks: Guests can take guided walks to explore the beautiful landscapes and wildlife of the conservancy on foot.
- Chimpanzee sanctuary visits: The conservancy is home to the world-renowned chimpanzee sanctuary, where guests can visit and learn about the chimpanzee rescue and rehabilitation program.
- Camel treks, guided nature walks, bird spotting, and visits to the chimpanzee sanctuary at Ol Pejeta Conservancy: These activities allow guests to explore the beautiful natural surroundings and wildlife of the conservancy.
- Bird spotting: The conservancy is home to over 500 bird species, making it an ideal destination for bird enthusiasts.
- Cultural dance and music: Guests can experience the local culture and traditions by watching cultural dance and music performances.
- Spa treatments: Guests can indulge in a range of spa treatments at the camp's spa, including massages, facials, and body treatments.
- Swimming: Guests can relax and cool off in the camp's swimming pool after a day of activities.
Which Rooms Types are in Sweetwaters Serena Camp?
Sweetwaters Serena Luxury Tents
Accommodation at Sweetwaters Serena Camp in Kenya is comprised of 56 tents, each with its own en suite bathroom (hot and cold running water, 24-hour hot showers and flushing WCs). All tents have canvas interiors,solid floors and separate thatched roofs. Electricity is provided by 24 hour generator. 14 of the tents are on raised platforms with private balconies, the rest have private verandas, all with safari chairs and tables. Extra beds and cots can also be provided.
The standard tents are spacious and comfortable, featuring a private veranda with a seating area, where guests can relax and enjoy the stunning views of the surrounding landscapes. The tents are equipped with an en-suite bathroom, a comfortable bed, and a writing desk. The tents also feature a mosquito net, which provides protection from insects while sleeping.
The Morani Tents are the most luxurious and spacious option at Sweetwaters Serena Camp. These tents are named after the young warriors or "Moran" of the local Maasai tribe, who protect their communities and livestock from predators. The tents are elegantly furnished and decorated with African art, offering a unique and authentic experience. The tents are equipped with an en-suite bathroom with a bathtub, a comfortable king-size bed, a seating area, and a private veranda. The tents also feature a fireplace, where guests can enjoy a cozy and romantic evening under the stars.
Both Standard Tents and Morani Tents offer a unique and unforgettable experience, with all the amenities and comfort of a five-star hotel. The tents are designed to blend seamlessly with the natural surroundings, providing guests with a true safari experience.
Total number of tents:
- 52 including one adapted for the physically challenged
- 16 Double Standard Tents
- 23 Twin Standard Tents
- 8 Double Morani Tents
- 7 Twin Morani Tents
- 2 Triple Morani Tents
Sweetwaters Serena Camp offers two types of luxurious tents for guests to choose from: Standard Tents and Morani Tents.
What are the Foods & Drinks options at Sweetwaters Serena Camp?
The Rhino Dining Room at Sweetwaters Serena is located within what was once the ranch manager’s house and has floor to ceiling windows overlooking the waterhole. The bar is also located within the house and features a blazing log fire and a typically colonial ambiance.
The Water Hole Bar at Sweetwaters Serena Camp Nanyuki is located in a traditional ‘hide’ which overlooks the water and offers unique opportunities for wildlife viewing.Breakfast and lunch are presented in buffet-style and feature a wide range of international choices.
In typical safari style, we offer a ‘full English Breakfast’ as well as European options while our lunch menus will typically include meat, poultry, fish andvegetarian options.Our table d’hôte dinner menus feature a salad buffet, soup, entrée, pudding, cheese and biscuits and tea or coffee. Vegetarian options are always available. The majority of our meat and dairy products, as well as our fruits and vegetables are sourced from the communities that surround the reserve.
Breakfast and lunch
Breakfast and lunch are presented in buffet-style and feature a wide range of international choices. In typical safari style, we offer a ‘full English Breakfast’ as well as European options while our lunch menus will typically include meat, poultry, fish and vegetarian options.
Our table d’hôte dinner menus feature a salad buffet, soup, entrée, pudding, cheese and biscuits and tea or coffee. Vegetarian options are always available. The majority of our meat and dairy products, as well as our fruits and vegetables are sourced from the communities that surround the reserve.
Wines, beers, spirits and soft drinks
Our wine list offers a broad selection of old- and new-world wines, and local and imported beers and spirits. We also offer a wide range of soft drinks including an array of freshly-made local fruit juices. We serve only the finest Kenyan coffee and tea; we also offer a wide range of fruit and herbal infusions.
Weddings and Honeymoons at Sweetwaters Serena Camp
Sweetwaters Serena Camp Weddings
If you’d like wed under African skies, Sweetwaters Tented Camp is an awesome place to consider. It’s also an awesome place to start off an African honeymoon safari. You are guaranteed an out of this world wedding when you choose Sweetwaters Nanyuki.Sweetwaters Serena Camp is an ideal destination for couples looking for a unique and romantic setting for their wedding or honeymoon.
The camp offers a picturesque and serene setting surrounded by stunning landscapes and wildlife, making it an unforgettable location for your special day. The camp's dedicated wedding planning team can help you create a tailor-made ceremony and reception, personalized to your needs and preferences. The team can take care of everything from arranging the ceremony to providing catering, decoration, and photography services.
Sweetwaters Serena Camp Honeymoon
After the wedding, couples can enjoy a luxurious and romantic honeymoon in one of the camp's luxurious tents. The tents offer all the amenities of a five-star hotel, including a comfortable bed, en-suite bathroom, and a private balcony overlooking the vast savannah plains. Couples can also indulge in a range of activities, including game drives, guided walks, spa treatments, and much more. With its stunning setting and exceptional services, Sweetwaters Serena Camp is the perfect location for a wedding or honeymoon that you will cherish forever.
Sweetwaters Serena Camp Conferencing
Sweetwaters Tented Camp has its own dedicated conference room, which stands in landscaped gardens immediately adjacent to the pool. It is relaxed, light and airy. This is the perfect destination for strategy meetings and team building activities
Family time at Sweetwaters Tented Camp
At Sweetwaters, we appreciate the importance of quality family time. We’re also committed to ensuring that you can relax, secure in the knowledge that the children are having as great a holiday as you are. With this in mind we offer a wide range of family-friendly tent options; children’s dining; baby-sitting, and plenty of adventure, sports and educational entertainment for children of all ages.
We can arrange for accommodation of families. We can also offer additional beds. Cots and baby-sitting services can be provided (prior notice appreciated).
All our meals are generous buffet-styled presentations, with something to suit absolutely everyone. High-chairs can be provided, as can baby-friendly food. We are also delighted to offer slightly earlier children’s meals (as early as 12 noon and 6.30 pm) – tailored to suit your children.
The Camp offers its own swimming pool (supervised by a qualified life-guard but not suited to small children other than under parental supervision).
We also offer a wide selection of board-games and books on Africa and the wilderness. Our professional nature guides also offer nightly talks and video presentations on wildlife. Added to this, we can offer:
- Lion-tracking on an early morning game drive – to locate a number of radio-collared lions, which can be tracked with GPS devices.
- Camel rides around the camp or in the surrounding conservancy.
- Visits to the chimpanzee sanctuary – home to 43 chimps and with its own education centre.
- Visits to the Ol Pejeta Educational Centre.
- Visit to the Ereri Cultural Village, home to a group of Maasai, Pokot and Samburu people.
- One hour guided nature walks.
- Family game drives (day and night)- in our custom-built open-sided safari vehicles, which are ideal for children.
- Family breakfasts by the river.
- Maasai and Samburu dancing and cultural displays.
- We can also arrange for culturally-interactive trips to local villages and/or schools.
- Educational evening talks by our resident naturalists.
- A selection of board games and books on Africa and wildlife.